I borrowed an idea from Julie Fei-Fan Balzor's blog, and chose a word to concentrate on for 2014. My word is "detail"
|Jeannie's antique bonnet,|
Last month I started stitching a adaptation of one of Jeannie Baumeister's antique bonnets featuring Bermuda fagotting, using fairy fabric and coton-a-broder, size 40. I wanted to practice what I learned from the SAGA classes I took at convention.
Bermuda fagotting looked good, but the satin stitch--not so much!
I gave up because my satin stitches were terribly wonky, and some of the granitos were coming undone--and started over, using a slightly heavier batiste, and a single strand of DMC floss.
So far I am happy with this stitching. It's looking MUCH better!
But even though the stitching itself is nicer on my second version, I like the "feel" of the mess-up much better!
My focus on detail for 2014 is intended to be more about being adventurous and trying new things to be able to more consciously CHOOSE my details--not so much about being a perfectionist. (Being careful is one thing, but it doesn't account for how/why a messy stitched piece still can have more appeal than a more skillfully done version)
It is more than technical skill that sets a piece apart. It's the precise combination of threads, fabric, color, and contrast. In the past I've decided to stitch something, and then just gone ahead and finished, without much deviation from the plan. I always learn a little something for "next time", and that's good. But this little bonnet project has shown me that a little experimenting in advance may go long way towards making the difference between very nice and something with the potential to be GREAT!
(However, I do intend to *finish* the batiste bonnet, and hope to also make a WONDERFUL bonnet using fairy fabric!)